The One Hundred and First Regiment New York Volunteers

Was raised in the Counties of Onondaga, New York and Delaware.

It was organized at Hancock, N.Y., to serve for three years, and was mustered into the United States service from September 2, 1861, to February 28, 1862. It was consolidated with the 37th New York Volunteers, December 24, 1862, and the officers mustered out of service.

The officers of this regiment from Onondaga County were Lieutenant Colonel Johnson B. Brown, discharged November 7, 1862; Captain Gustavus Sniper, of Company C, promoted to Major on the organization of the regiment at Hancock, promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel November 29, 1862, and mustered out at the consolidation, December 24, 1862; Assistant-Surgeon David B, Van Slyke, promoted to Surgeon, October 23, 1862, James F, O'Neil, rank from October 1, 1861, discharged May 31, 1862; Captain George W. Herrick, rank from March 31, 1862, discharged February 22, 1862; Captain Peter Ohneth (Brevet-Major N.Y.V.,) rank as Captain November 24, 1861, mustered out December 24, 1862; 1st Lieutenant Orrin F. Plumb, rank from November 14, 1861, mustered out December 24, 1862; 1st Lieutenant James H. Brandt, rank from October 25, 1861, promoted to Captain October 29, 1862; 1st Lieutenant Thomas K. Brown rank from October 22, 1861, mustered out December 24, 1862; 1st Lieutenant Monroe C. Worden, rank from October 7, 1861, died at Washington, D.C., April 25, 1862; 1st Lieutenant William Noble, rank from November 16, 1862, not mustered; 1st Lieutenant Orlando J. Rowe, on records of War Department, not commissioned, resigned January 31, 1862; 2d Lieutenant William H. Warner, rank from December 1, 1861, promoted to 1st Lieutenant October 29, 1862, mustered out at the consolidation, December 24, 1862; 2d Lieutenant Silias H. Hinds, rank from June 1862, mustered out December 24, 1862; 2d Lieutenant Adam Listman, rank from November 24, 1861, resigned July 24, 1862; 2d Lieutenant George Pfohl, rank from July 25, 1862, mustered out December 24, 1862; 2d Lieutenant Henry D. Ford, rank from December 15, 1861, promoted 1st Lieutenant Oct 3, 1862, mustered out December 24, 1862; 2d Lieutenant George B, French, rank from September 9, 1963, not mustered; Amos M. Scranton, on records of War Department, not mustered, discharged February 22, 1862.

In the catalogue of flags presented to Governor Fenton at Albany after the war, we find this mention of the colors of the 101st Regiment:

"1 National Flag, silk, with original staff. This flag was presented to the regiment by the Union Defence Committee of New York City. It was borne in the battles of Seven Pines, (May 31 and June 1) Peach Orchard, Savage's Station, Chickahominy, White Oak Swamp, Charles City Cross Roads, Malvern Hill, Groveton, Second Bull Run, Chantilly and Fredericksburg."

The regiment was sent forward from Hancock, N.Y., to Washington in March 1862, and was for some time on duty in and about Washington. It was also engaged in garrison duty for some time at Fort Lyons, seven miles south of Alexandria. Before engaging in the first of the series of battles above enumerated, it was organized as part of Birney's brigade, Kearney's division and Heintzelman's corps, and arrived at Fair Oaks just at the close of battle. The regiment was one of the best in the service. It received a high compliment for its gallantry from Gen. Kearney the night before he was killed at Chantilly. In his report after the battle of Fredericksburg, Brig-Gen. Berry said: "I have also to mention the good conduct of the 101st New York Volunteers, Col. Chester commanding.  They nobly performed their duty during the fight; also as pickets on the night of the retreat. This regiment, though small in numbers, did good service, and its conduct, together with that of all its officers, was unexceptionable.